Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

"Fried" Pickles

Adapted From: Schilling Times
http://joshandkinze.blogspot.com/search?q=pickles

About a year and half ago we moved away from Georgia. Among the many difficult adjustments was the lack of “southern cooking” in our new community. If you have ever been to the south chances are you have had a variety of deep fried vegetables. I swear, if you can deep fry it, you can find it on a menu. My favorite is fried pickles and I have been craving them since they day we packed up the U-Haul. I found these on pinterest and I must say, I was skeptical at first. For one thing these pickles are baked instead of fried but I miss southern cooking so much I was willing to give it a try. They are AWESOME and I feel less guilty about eating them since they are not cooked in a deep fryer. The original recipe calls for the use of Panko bread crumbs. While I have heard magical stories about them, I opted for Aldi brand Italian style bread crumbs that I had around the house and I have no complaints. At most restaurant, fried pickles are served with a dipping sauce. We used a dash of Frank’s hot sauce in ranch dressing, but plain ranch works great too.


The “Fixins”
1 jar pickle slices
2 eggs
1/3 cup flour
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp hot sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Cajun seasoning
1 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups bread crumbs


Let’s Cook
In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs and flour until smooth
Add Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, garlic powder, Cajun seasoning, and pepper
Mix until well blended.
Place bread crumbs in a separate dish.
Dunk each pickle slice into the egg mixture, then into the bread crumbs

               ***Tip: Use one hand to dunk the pickles and the other hand to bread the pickles, this way one   hand stays dry***

Place breaded pickles on a greased baking sheet


Place pan in the middle rack of the oven.
Broil on high for 3 to 4 minutes on each side.


No comments:

Post a Comment